This is a post for all people coming out of a protective style! I just came out of a set of kinky twists after 4 weeks! Keep reading for removal and how to take care of your hair after a protective style!
- When removing twists/braids try to cut down the bulk some so you have less to take out! Also, try to be careful so that you do not accidentally cut your own hair, this goes for those taking out weaves also.
- There will be lots of shed hair and some build up so apply oil or conditioner as you go along to get the knots out!
- Seriously really detangle and make sure you get all the shed hair out because it will tangle and you will not be a happy camper.
- You can take this time to pre-poo, actually. Detangle with conditioner, twist or divide your hair into sections and pop on a plastic cap (or bag)
- At this point, your hair should be thoroughly detangled and simmering with your pre-poo hehe
- Keep hair in sections as you wash because most likely you didn’t detangle as well as you think you did (I never do)
- SHAMPOO your hair to remove build up whether it be environmental or from products on your scalp and hair.
- Use a PROTEIN/RECONSTRUCTOR TREATMENT – Your hair has just been under a lot of pressure from holding those tracks or heavy braids/twists. The treatment will help give it a boost!
- DEEP CONDITION – Always follow a protein treatment with a moisturising one!
- Apply leave-ins and a sealant after rinsing
- Give your hair and scalp some time to breathe and wait a little bit to re-install your weaves or extension braids/twists. If you are doing a style with your own hair you don’t have to wait.